Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Baby Clothes Quilt

I can't believe this quilt never made it to the blog!!

2 years back I made a quilt for a friend out of her son's baby clothes. And it would appear I only have 2 pictures of the whole thing! What a shame! These quilts are loads of fun to make. Lots of memories live in these clothes. I made sure to go through the bag with my friend to find out which ones were most important to her, and gave them a front row seat in the quilt.


Baby clothes requires smaller squares. All these squares were made with my 6.5 x 6.5 inch square ruler, which results in 6 x 6 finished squares. I used the same adhesive batting for this quilt as I did for the quilt I made here.


As you can see from this assembly, I first sewed the squares together to make rows, and then sewed the rows together.

The quilting was a simple meandering patter done by my good friend Terry. Unfortunately, there is no picture of the back. The back was a fuzzy red fabric her son LOVED. Red is his favorite color, and it was just so snugly to lay beneath.

The hardest part of making this quilt was cutting into baby clothes. I actually shed a tear and asked my friend if she was absolutely positive she wanted me to do this. Also, you need to be judicious in those initial cuts. Baby clothes are SMALL. If I cut something haphazardly, I ran the risk of having an uncentered detail or a piece that was simply too small.

No comments:

Post a Comment