Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Special Announcement!

Big things happening over at The Crafting Accountant!

We shared this announcement on Facebook last week:


It's true! I'm pregnant! If you'd like to know why I don't say "we're pregnant", I'd encourage you to watch this video:


Sassy was of course star of the show. Her bib is a big dog and little dog that says "Mommy Loves Me". It was just too perfect to pass up. This dog puts up with quite a bit from us!

To preemptively answer a lot of questions people tend to ask:

  • No, we will not find out the sex of the baby
  • No, I don't feel wonderful. It's the first trimester. Hand me a gingerale.
  • Yes, we have names picked out. No, I won't discuss them at length with you.
  • No, the beer belly did not disappear when I got pregnant. It just got pushed out. I'm fully aware I look weirdly pudgy right now. Leave me be.
  • Of course we are thrilled. But we are also terrified. Because we are normal human beings. 
  • Yes, we are keeping Sassy. 
  • I'm glad x, y, and z worked for your friend to stop all day sickness. I have my own thing going, thanks.
  • Yes, I've been to the doctor's.
  • Yes, I'm taking my vitamins.
  • Yes, I've had an ultrasound. Everything is where it should be!
  • Don't you dare mention chicken to me unless you'd like to be puked on.

Lessons I've learned

While the above list may seem a bit snarky, your first trimester is an incredibly humbling experience. The amount of things you don't know is utterly overwhelming. You don't even know where to start, and you just want to hide under a blanket in bed for a little while. 

I've known lots of pregnant women. That doesn't mean I have any idea what it's like to be pregnant. I'm experiencing a lot of "foot in mouth" moments right now. I think in the back of my mind I always thought "it can't be that bad. she must be playing it up to some extent". Let me assure you, this is not the case. You know when you have a stomach bug? You're exhausted, not a single part of your body is working right, and you are on the edge of throwing up at all times? The solution is fluids and to lay down for 3 days. That is pregnancy. Expect for 3 straight months. Except the solution is to suck it up, walk the dog every morning, go to work, continue to work at the same caliber you were before, and do it with a smile on your face if you wouldn't mind. 

The smell thing is really just for show right? I mean, it can't be that bad. How could a smell induce a puke-worthy reaction? Let me assure you that the smell of cooking meat is perfectly equated with the thought of me shoving a bag of dog poop in your face. 

If I have an extended conversation with you while standing, I will be as winded as if I just ran 10 miles. I'm still not 100% clear on the science of it, but it has something to do with the excess blood I've got flowing through my system. But I assure you, it's science. I don't enjoy being winded from climbing the stairs. 

I know there are some people who think these things about me as well. And honestly, I'm not even mad about it. Because until you are pregnant, it is impossible to understand these feelings. 

Most importantly, know I am taking care of myself, and my baby. Know I've read the books and blogs, and asked the questions. Know I would never do something that would hurt my body or baby. So if I'm having a tuna fish sandwich, it's the only one I had this week, and the doctor encouraged at least 1 sandwich a week.

I know I will need help, and will want help. I value the great source of knowledge that lives within the wonderful support system we've established. And I promise to ask for help and advice when I need it. But sometimes, I'm just so overwhelmed already, I just want to lay down. 

But for now, we got this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment