Thursday, August 1, 2013

Engagement Pictures- What to Wear

Can I just tell you the absolute headache it was to figure out what the hell to wear for engagement pictures?!

I could not find 2 sources that just agreed. Or something that said "Have this many outfits ready, and this is what they should be". So, dammit, I'll make on for you!

Have 3 outfits prepared for the both of you.

Outfit 1- Dressy- think button up and dress shoes for the guys and a structured dress and heels for the ladies.

Hubby's dressy outfit. Button up, black tie, grey vest, maroon shirt. NO PLEATS! :)
                               
My dressy outfit. Form fitting dress and peep toe heels.
                                            
Outfit 2- Comfortable- jeans and nice shirts. Loafers for guys, flats for the ladies.

I couldn't decide so I had two options. And three shoe options. Obviously.
                                       
Hubby wore the shirt open for a relaxed feel.
                                
I couldn't decide for him either. So he got a polo shirt as well.

Outfit 3- Flow-y- silk shirt for the guys and maxi dress or skirt for the ladies. Shoes optional.

Silk button down shirt for Hubby with khakis
                                       
Maxi Dress and sandals for me
                                        

Undergarments:

This is one thing I wish I thought through just a little bit more. You don't want underwear lines or bra straps showing in your pictures! I would personally recommend Spanx. Whether you are a size 2 or 16, they will at least hide your pantie lines! And VS has some great bras that don't show bumps.

Layers and collars:

This one I kind of figured out on my own. I spent hours looking at engagement pictures. I finally noticed the connection in all the ones I liked. Layers and shirt collars. Watch TV. Or a movie. Even the extras have layers and collars on. It is a more polished look.

Matching:

DON'T MATCH! Compliment one another. Remember that color wheel from elementary school?

I think Cornell may be a Deathly Hallows Fan... but I digress.

Derek and I did Green and Yellow, Blue and Violet, and Maroon and Teal. So not the exact compliments of one another, but they also weren't the exact same color. Also, note the outfits are in the same "tone"- the blue and purple were jewel toned, the green and yellow were muted colors, as were the maroon and teal.

Patterns:

I personally hate patterns in engagement pictures. But you might be able to pull off a small pattern on a structured dress. Please, pleasepleaseplease, no plaid.

I am so incredibly sorry for these terrible pictures. I took them the night before our shoot on my phone to send to my bridesmaids for approval! Next post will be our engagement shoot with Tina Mortela Photography!

Do you agree? Did you find this post helpful? Do you think all these rules should be thrown out the window? Let me know your thoughts below!

No comments:

Post a Comment